PLEASE ASK:

No published work, including print and digital media from MY LIFE - A NEW MOM is to be reproduced without prior written permission from the Author. If you are interested in using one of my pictures or information feel free to email me at a_parker12 AT hotmail DOT com




Thursday, June 03, 2010

Long Lost Family

Both of my parents are adopted. This basically means that I have no family history at all. This isn't a big deal to me but I found it a bit disturbing when I was pregnant. All the doctors wanted my family history so that they would know what to "expect"; I had some extra testing done while pregnant, thankfully everything they tested for came back negative.

I always knew my Mom was adopted, but my Dad on the other hand I took by surprise when I learnt of his adoption about 4 years ago. The reason I never knew of this was because he didn't know. My Grandma never told him; he found out completely on his own. A few years back he asked my Grandma for his baptism certificate, she gave it to him in a sealed envelope (probably from when she received it). On the certificate he found all the information regarding his baptism, including the word "adopted". My Dad has decided to never confront my Grandma about this...she is 98 years old, and she must have a good reason for never explaining.

Anyway, this post isn't about my Dads family, it's about my Moms. About two years ago my Mom decided that it was about time she look for her birth mother, or at least some information even if it only be health records. She applied and waited a few months before hearing anything back. She has SISTERS! A set of twin sisters! They are two years younger than my Mom. It turns out that my "Auntie" was also looking for information.

It has been about a year and a half since they found each other, and chatting over facebook saying that we have to get together, well it is finally going to happen!! Next Wednesday my Mom, Makayla and I are going to drive 3 hours to go and meet one of her sisters! How exciting is that!!!??!?!?

No comments: