PLEASE ASK:

No published work, including print and digital media from MY LIFE - A NEW MOM is to be reproduced without prior written permission from the Author. If you are interested in using one of my pictures or information feel free to email me at a_parker12 AT hotmail DOT com




Monday, June 14, 2010

A Little Scare!

Last night it was really nice out, minus the mosquitoes! We went for a walk around the community, stopped at Mac's for a drink and then headed home. Around midnight or so Makayla was getting a bit cranky so I decided to make her a bottle and see if she would go to sleep. As she sat playing in the corner of the couch and I was in the kitchen she decided that it would be a good idea to fling herself forward...then onto the floor. I saw the entire thing happen, it was only about 4 seconds and there she was going head first, feet in the air off the couch! She didn't cry. I ran over and she lay there face down not moving and not making a sound. I scooped her up and as soon as I turned her towards my chest she SCREAMED!!! Good, at least she was alive!!! I checked her over and couldn't see any bumps or scratches, gave her the bottle and she was fine! Afterwards she went straight to bed and fell asleep! I think my heart actually stopped for a few seconds!! Lesson learned...no more sitting on the couch alone!

Then in the middle of the night I could hear her crying in her crib, it wasn't a normal "I need my soother" or "I'm hungry" cry, so I ran in there....well she had turned herself onto her tummy and had her legs out the slots all the way up to her crotch and she was stuck! My poor little monkey! I pulled her out and put her onto her back; then he cry changed to the "I'm hungry" cry, so I fed her and back to bed she went.

Now this has me thinking, they say to not use bumper pads on cribs because it can lead to suffocation, well having her legs stuck between the bars probably isn't any better....your thoughts?


2 comments:

Jaimee said...

I figure legs and arms getting stuck every once and a while is better than what could happen with bumper pads. When Jordan really started moving around in his crib we had the same problem but after about a week or so it never happened anymore.

Alexandra said...

Yes - I agree. We have never used bumper pads for either baby and out of that entire time, Odessa only had her leg stuck once. It is so scary to think what can happen with bumper pads/stuffed animals/blankets in there.