PLEASE ASK:

No published work, including print and digital media from MY LIFE - A NEW MOM is to be reproduced without prior written permission from the Author. If you are interested in using one of my pictures or information feel free to email me at a_parker12 AT hotmail DOT com




Friday, April 09, 2010

Life Can Change In The Blink Of An Eye

It is amazing how one moment, one decision or one mistake can change everything in the blink of an eye. We are always rushing through life so quickly, we don't take time to stop and think that life is a gift and we should be thankful....and careful. Yesterday while hiking in BC, my little brother fell 40 feet head first into a rock crevasse. It took the paramedics four hours to get him out, then he was air lifted to a hospital. He is extremely lucky, very sore, has suffered a concussion and over 50 stitches in his face and head. The below is an email that his friend Josh, who was with him, wrote to his mother explaining what happened and the effect it has had on him.

Yesterday at approx. 4pm Parker, one of my best friends and brother in the Lord fell into a rock crevasse. He was right behind me. I turned around and he was gone. He fell through a moss covered hole falling about 40 feet in total and was unconscious. We were with 14 other students on top of some rock cliffs on the heights of Thetis Island about a 20 minute hike to the nearest help. The cliffs are interwoven with deep caves and crevasses that we were there to explore. We had only 1 cell phone and cell-service was in and out. We yelled "Parker" several times, no response. The next few hours seem surreal and probably always will. Parker survived through the mercies and grace of Jesus Christ with only lacerations to his face and head, a significant concussion and soreness. He was helicoptered out last night from Thetis to Vancouver Island and has already returned to school this afternoon. He has over 50 stitches on his face and head but is walking around on his own power and is in good spirits. That's Parker though, I hope you all get to meet him someday. He's one of the most positive, genuine and friendly people I've ever met.

As for me, I'm simply trying to process through it all, make sense of the jumbled chaos knot of things running constantly through my mind. Parker remembers bit and pieces, but I remember every second burned permanently into my skull. I was first on the scene inside the crevasse. I will never forget what I saw down there... his condition seemed hopeless, blood covering his head and face, looking up picturing his fall in my mind he should be dead or paralyzed. With help from above, our friends Calvin and Zinger joined us a few minutes later. We spent the next 3 hours in that hole praying with him til emergency rescue workers helped him up and out on a stretcher. The entire process took 3 hours due to the remoteness of our location combined with the crevasse factor. This particular crevasse was virtually impossible to get in to, and certainly impossible to get out. I'm sure you're wondering how I got down there and all I can say is I climbed, other than that... no idea. He was pulled out with pulleys and ropes and carabiners just after 7pm. They pulled me up a few minutes after. Physically I'm fine and in good health. Emotionally I'm the most messed up I've ever been. The staff have talked to all of us who were there and don't hold anything against us and are loving us (besides the reckless factor), the student body couldn't be more supportive and loving & God is here and has certainly been with us through it all.

I'm working through a whole heap of emotions. Last night and today has been a lot of replay in my head. I haven't seen Parker since he flew out on a chopper yesterday evening even though he's back at school now. I'm sure I will see him shortly and due to my emotional state I'll probably lose it but thats ok. I love him very much. I'll be talking with Lawrence Jensen (one of the elder staff) later today to talk through the experience and just try to get some of the "stuff" out. Lawrence is a great guy for that type of stuff and a humble man of God.

Please be praying for Parker that his face has a full recovery with minimal scaring. Pray that his life, being given to him in a new light, would be full in years and many good memories. Knowing Parker, he has already turned this new lease on life into sharing Christ with all the nurses and doctors at the hospital. I lived through a miracle yesterday, but I suppose every day, every second, every breath, is a miracle of God's faithfulness. And so the perspective starts to set in... Father teach me the value of "every day" and "every opportunity". Organize my thoughts by your Spirit that lives in me. May I discern what is of You and what is of Satan. Help me understand. Give me wisdom. Make it stick.
Josh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pictures of my brother; before and after:

This picture was taken about two minutes before he fell

Waiting to be cleaned up and stitched up



Getting freezing in his head

The most stitches were needed here



All done and sleeping

The next afternoon


I talked to him tonight and he sounds completely normal; he said he has a bit of a headache, a sore arm and sore shoulder, other than that he is fine. This just reminds me that we really need to slow down. I love you brother and if anything good can come from this accident I hope that it is a life lesson and learning experience.

No comments: